The YMCA’s presence in Shreveport dates back to the 1860’s, and in 1888, funds were raised to construct a three story building that housed the city’s first gymnasium, located on Milam and Edwards Streets in Downtown Shreveport. The building was later sold. The Shreveport YMCA was incorporated in 1922 and has been in continuous operation since that time. In 1923, a fundraising campaign raised $545,000 to construct the current Downtown Y, which opened in October 1925. The YMCA was the center of many citywide activities such as high school basketball, swim meets, night school, and many youth and adult clubs.